Thursday, March 5, 2009

A light goes on

3/2/09
No matter what you are doing it’s always a great feeling when you feel that light go on, that moment something just clicks. Like I said we did some Tango in my last private lesson but I had some trouble with my front foot sliding as I was trying to stop, it’s a fast moving dance. Tiffany told me to keep my body, my weight over my foot to help with that and it did help. But I was practicing today on my own between group classes just trying to again get the ‘feel’ for the dance. Angelo, one of the instructors, came over and wanted to know what I was going over and gave me some pointers as he wasn’t doing anything. And he helped me realize what I was doing that was causing the most problems. The Tango is a mix of Latin and Smooth dances. With Latin dances you take small steps stepping with your toe, with Smooth they are moving or traveling dances so you take full steps with heel first. What I realized I was doing on the stopping steps for a step called Medio Corte or the Cambio I was taking that step I was landing on my toe instead of the normal walking step which Angelo showed me allows me to normally press down into the floor and keeps your weight over your foot. It’s the mix of styles that originally through me off but once I did it a few times it was amazing how much better it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment